Skip to main content

Why El-Rufai honoured EFCC’s invitation


Abuja — Former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Monday arrived at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja to honour an invitation over corruption allegations linked to his tenure in office.

The EFCC invitation, issued in December 2025, is part of ongoing investigations into claims of financial misconduct during his administration, including allegations involving about N432 billion.

The probe is being conducted in collaboration with the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), before which El-Rufai is also expected to appear on Wednesday, February 18.

His legal team had earlier notified the EFCC that he would report at 10 a.m., explaining that he was outside the country when the initial summons was sent.

Brief Tension

Tension briefly flared at the EFCC headquarters as pro- and anti-El-Rufai demonstrators confronted one another outside the anti-graft agency.

Security personnel reportedly restricted access to members of his entourage, while supporters gathered near the gate of the commission’s headquarters, causing a brief commotion.

One supporter alleged that security operatives used teargas to disperse pro-El-Rufai groups but allowed opposing demonstrators to assemble nearby.

Meanwhile, anti-El-Rufai protesters urged the EFCC to carry out what they described as a thorough and unbiased investigation into corruption allegations linked to his tenure. Some also referred to his recent claim that the phone of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, had been tapped.

The development comes days after security operatives reportedly attempted to arrest the former governor at an airport following his return from Egypt.

His passport was later seized by the Department of State Services (DSS) in connection with separate investigations, including the 2019 disappearance of government critic Abubakar Idris, also known as Dadiyata.

El-Rufai has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, describing the investigations as politically motivated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: ASUU suspends 2-week warning strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has suspended its two-week warning strike it declared last week across all public universities in the country. The union announced the suspension on Wednesday at a press conference held at its headquarters in Abuja. President of ASUU, Chris Piwuna, who read a prepared speech before newsmen, explained that the development followed intervention by the Senate and some other well-meaning Nigerians. However, he sad the National Executive Council of the Union resolved to give the government a one-month window to address all contending areas.

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...