Skip to main content

13% Derivation: Why President Tinubu Must Act Now for Niger Delta Communities


By Tessy Ogbemi 

For more than three decades, oil and gas producing communities of the Niger Delta have waited often in vain for justice promised by the Nigerian Constitution.

The 13% Derivation Fund, conceived as compensation for environmental degradation and economic dislocation, has remained largely out of the reach of the very communities whose sacrifices sustain the nation’s economy.

The Niger Delta Civil Society Forum (NDCSF), led by Comrade Ezekiel Kagbala, has again placed this unresolved injustice before President and Commander-in-Chief, Bola Tinubu, urging decisive executive order for a derivation board to correct what it describes as a long-standing constitutional and moral failures.

The 13% Derivation Fund belongs to oil and gas producing communities, not state governors. The historical record is clear. The struggle for derivation intensified during the military era long before the advent of elected governors. Communities bore the brunt of repression, pollution, and economic neglect, while political office holders played no part in that sacrifice.

NDCSF Forum therefore calls on President Bola Tinubu to exercise the Power of Prerogative within his constitutional jurisdiction over matters on the Exclusive Legislative List, and in strict compliance with legislative provisions, to issue an Executive Order for the creation of a 13% Derivation Fund Board in each oil and gas producing state, alongside a Presidential Monitoring Committee to guarantee transparency, accountability, and direct community benefit.

13% Derivation Belongs to the Communities Not the Governors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: ASUU suspends 2-week warning strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has suspended its two-week warning strike it declared last week across all public universities in the country. The union announced the suspension on Wednesday at a press conference held at its headquarters in Abuja. President of ASUU, Chris Piwuna, who read a prepared speech before newsmen, explained that the development followed intervention by the Senate and some other well-meaning Nigerians. However, he sad the National Executive Council of the Union resolved to give the government a one-month window to address all contending areas.

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...