Skip to main content

‘Please take it back’  —  Mike Igini urges Tinubu to reject new Electoral Act


Former Cross River State Resident Electoral Commissioner and lawyer, Mike Igini, has appealed to President Bola Tinubu to reject the newly passed Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, warning that the proposed law could undermine Nigeria’s democratic process.

Igini made the call on Wednesday during an interview on Arise Television, following the passage of the bill by the Nigerian Senate on Tuesday after tense debates over Clause 60.

“It is my indeed humble recommendation to Mr President that you are a man of history. You were a senior man to very many of us in the struggle at the time when the journey of Nigeria and the prospect of democracy was less certain,” Igini said.

“What is going to be presented before you is a recipe for chaos. It’s a recipe to undermine all that you have done when we were in the trenches.

“What is put before you? Please take it back,” he added.

Igini recalled past political struggles in which election outcomes were determined by voters rather than state power, urging the president not to endorse a process that could weaken electoral credibility.

“And also remember that, at a time when the PDP was in office and when we were in office and they were saying that there was going to be a federal might, some of us stood out to say no. In 2015, it’s going to be the might of people, not federal might, but the might of the people through the ballot that should determine what will happen. You should be a man of history,” he said.

The former electoral official has in recent days intensified calls for the compulsory real-time electronic transmission of election results.

His intervention comes as the National Assembly moves to harmonise differing versions of the proposed electoral reforms, with real-time upload of polling-unit results to the INEC Result Viewing Portal emerging as one of the most contentious issues before lawmakers.

Igini warned that the decision before legislators could directly affect the credibility of future elections and their own political fortunes ahead of the 2027 general elections.

In a statement issued on Sunday, he argued that loopholes that permit alterations during manual collation of results have historically worked against serving lawmakers, particularly those who had lost the backing of their political parties.

According to him, closing such gaps through mandatory real-time electronic transmission would strengthen transparency and help restore public confidence in the electoral process overseen by the Independent National Electoral Commission.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: ASUU suspends 2-week warning strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has suspended its two-week warning strike it declared last week across all public universities in the country. The union announced the suspension on Wednesday at a press conference held at its headquarters in Abuja. President of ASUU, Chris Piwuna, who read a prepared speech before newsmen, explained that the development followed intervention by the Senate and some other well-meaning Nigerians. However, he sad the National Executive Council of the Union resolved to give the government a one-month window to address all contending areas.

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...