Skip to main content

Tinubu to visit s-south, s-east May – Presidency reveals


The Minister of Works, Engr David Umahi, has revealed that President Bola Tinubu would visit the South-South and South-Eastern parts of the country on the 12th of May, 2026.

Umahi spoke after inspecting the Aba-Port Harcourt Motorway Abia State section and Eleme Axis of the East-West road in Rivers and said the visit would be to inaugurate the projects that would be completed in April.

The minister said the federal government has intensified work on key highway projects across the South-South, with several strategic corridors slated for commissioning by President Tinubu during his planned visit to the regions in May.

The project includes the 43-kilometre dualisation of the Aba–Port Harcourt highway, a critical economic artery linking Abia and Rivers states, which officials say will be substantially ready by April.

Umahi said the project, handled by China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), is at 90 per cent completion, adding that the project reportedly was stalled for years due to funding constraints before the current administration intervened.

He said the contractor has now completed over 90 per cent of the Aba-bound carriageway after being directed to concentrate resources on one side to fast-track delivery, assuring that outstanding payment, running into billions, would be addressed within weeks.

He disclosed that both CCECC and the newly engaged indigenous contractor on the opposite carriageway would receive funds to sustain momentum.

He said, “They are still committed to any section of the road when they finish for twelve months. If it fails, it’s their business; it’s their problem; they have to repay it.

“But so far, I am happy with their work, and I want them to finish by April so that we can turn it in for Mr President to commission by 12th of May when he visits Southeast and South South.”

He emphasised that the President had encouraged greater participation of indigenous contractors, particularly in emergency interventions, to boost local capacity and foster healthy competition in the sector.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Works announced that completed sections would not only feature reinforced concrete but also solar-powered streetlights, CCTV surveillance, speed monitoring systems and security patrol vans.

He said, “Solar installations are expected to commence within days, with broader integration of intelligent traffic systems before September.

“The initiative aligns with the administration’s directive to transform major highways into secure and technologically monitored corridors.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking: ASUU suspends 2-week warning strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has suspended its two-week warning strike it declared last week across all public universities in the country. The union announced the suspension on Wednesday at a press conference held at its headquarters in Abuja. President of ASUU, Chris Piwuna, who read a prepared speech before newsmen, explained that the development followed intervention by the Senate and some other well-meaning Nigerians. However, he sad the National Executive Council of the Union resolved to give the government a one-month window to address all contending areas.

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...