Skip to main content

Consensus Dispute Hit ADC As Atiku, Amaechi, Hayatu-Deen Fail To Reach Agreement




The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has postponed its presidential screening exercise from Monday to Wednesday following disagreements among party leaders over a preferred consensus candidate ahead of the 2027 election.

 Sources within the party disclosed that consultations and negotiations were still ongoing among key stakeholders over who should emerge as the party’s consensus presidential candidate.

According to party insiders, the leadership has yet to reach an agreement among three leading contenders – Rotimi Amaechi, Atiku Abubakar, and Mohammed Hayatu-Deen.

A source familiar with the development said the postponement was aimed at giving the party more time to resolve internal disagreements and avoid deepening divisions before the presidential primary.

“The ADC presidential screening exercise has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,” the source said.

“The party has failed to agree on a consensus candidate between Amaechi, Atiku and Hayatu-Deen.”

Sources also revealed that uncertainty now surrounds the party’s presidential primary election scheduled for May 25.

According to insiders, financial challenges and disagreements over the consensus arrangement have complicated preparations for the exercise.

“Even their primaries date is now unsure; they don’t have money and Atiku not letting them have a consensus that doesn’t suit him,” another source alleged.

On Saturday, the ADC had already announced the postponement of its screening exercise for presidential and governorship aspirants.

The exercise, initially scheduled for the weekend, was shifted to Monday, May 18, 2026.

In a statement issued by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the ADC also disclosed that the screening of some federal lawmaker aspirants from parts of Northern Nigeria would be conducted in Abuja because of security concerns.

“All affected aspirants will be duly contacted with the updated schedules and necessary details,” the statement said.

Earlier, the ADC released its timetable for the 2027 primary elections and approved nomination fees for all elective positions.

According to the party, sales of nomination forms were scheduled to hold between May 5 and May 10, while submission of completed forms was fixed for May 11 to May 13.

The party initially planned to conduct screening between May 14 and May 15, with publication of results expected on May 17.

Appeals were scheduled for May 18 and May 19, while the final list of cleared aspirants was expected on May 20.

The ADC said primary elections for state Houses of Assembly, House of Representatives and Senate seats would commence on May 21.

Governorship primaries are scheduled for May 22, while the presidential primary remains fixed for May 25, pending any further adjustment.

Under the approved fee structure, the presidential nomination form costs ₦100m, governorship ₦50m, Senate ₦20m, House of Representatives ₦10m, and State House of Assembly ₦3m.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...

Breaking: ASUU suspends 2-week warning strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has suspended its two-week warning strike it declared last week across all public universities in the country. The union announced the suspension on Wednesday at a press conference held at its headquarters in Abuja. President of ASUU, Chris Piwuna, who read a prepared speech before newsmen, explained that the development followed intervention by the Senate and some other well-meaning Nigerians. However, he sad the National Executive Council of the Union resolved to give the government a one-month window to address all contending areas.