Skip to main content

We Paid 3 Million, 6 Million To Secure Kidnapped NYSC Members’ – Family

‘

Families of some of the 20 National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) prospective members rescued in Imo State have said they paid millions of naira in ransom before receiving news of their release.

Speaking to News Central Television, the relatives recounted how they borrowed money and sought financial support to meet the abductors’ demands.

According to the station, some families paid more than ₦3 million, while others reportedly handed over as much as ₦6 million.

The corps members and another hostage were rescued on Wednesday in an operation involving the military, Department of State Services, police and other security formations.

A mother of one of the corps members said she raised ₦3 million amid fears for her child’s safety and arranged for the money to be delivered in Imo State.

“I paid as much as ₦3 million as ransom while I was hoping that nothing happened to my child. I ran helter-skelter to raise the money. I eventually got the money and sent someone to Imo State to deliver the ransom,” she told News Central Television.

Another parent, a farmer, said he borrowed ₦6 million to secure his son’s freedom.

He explained that some relatives gathered in Ibadan, Oyo State, to pool funds, adding that some converted the money into dollars before sending it to Imo State.

“We had to converge somewhere in Ibadan, Oyo State to put the money together. Some of us even changed the money to dollars and sent it to Imo State to meet whoever was coming to pick it,” he said.

While expressing relief over his son’s release, the father said the debt remained a source of concern.

“I am excited that my son is coming back. However, how do I repay the ₦6 million I borrowed? I’m just a farmer,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: If Tinubu Had Told Me, I Wouldn’t Have Agreed To Rivers State Of Emergency Rule – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stated that he would not have agreed with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu if he had discussed his move to declare a State of Emergency in Rivers State. Wike noted that he is not in conflict with the suspended Rivers State Governor,      Sim Fubara  He stressed his opposition on the State of Emergency rule, stating that only the President knows the right time to lift it. While speaking to journalists in Abuja on Monday, Wike remarked that Fubara has permitted himself to be manipulated by his adversaries to oppose him. The FCT Minister said: “ I made it clear that this impunity will not stand, so what is happening in PDP is what I call undertakers because I see no reason why you will put yourself under that kind of crisis. “I don’t have any crisis with him (Fubara). I’m not the President who declared a State of Emergency; if Mr President had called me, I wouldn’t have agreed to the State of Emergenc...

Woman Burned to Death, Accused of Kidnapping 7yrs Old Boy in Delta

By Tessy ogbemi An angry mob set ablaze a woman accused in a failed child kidnapping attempt in Agbarho community, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.  The incident happened on Wednesday, September 24, 2025.  An eyewitness disclosed at the scene of the incident at Ekwvere Road claimed that the woman hid the seven year old boy she allegedly abducted in a sack, adding that she was even carrying a Bible on one hand.  Community sources said some residents in the area accosted the lady when they observed the way she was dragging the sack, to know what she had in it.  "She was unstable when they asked her to disclose what she was carrying in the sack. When the bag was forced open, they found a seven year old child in it. They shouted and it attracted a large crowd,” a source said.  It was gathered that the angry mob immediately brought a used tyre to the scene, which they forced down her neck after beating her to a pulp.  “The lady and the tyre we...

BREAKING: Supreme Court Overrides Tinubu’s Pardon, Affirms Maryam Sanda Death Sentence

The Supreme Court on Friday delivered a landmark judgment, overriding the pardon granted by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Maryam Sanda, and affirmed the death sentence by hanging for the murder of her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, in 2017. It was recalled that President Tinubu had previously reduced Sanda’s death sentence to 12 years’ imprisonment on “compassionate grounds” in October 2025. However, in a four-to-one split decision, the Apex Court dismissed the appeal filed by Sanda, ruling that the prosecution had proved the case of culpable homicide beyond a reasonable doubt. Justice Moore Adumein, who delivered the lead judgment, held that the Court of Appeal, Abuja, was correct in upholding the initial death sentence handed down by the Federal Capital Territory High Court in 2020. Crucially, Justice Adumein addressed the legal conundrum created by the Presidential pardon, stating: “ It was wrong for the Executive to seek to exercise its power of pardon over a case of culpable ...